Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Lesson 3 - Flickr

Hi all,
For this lesson plan we are supposed to provide a link to a photo from Flickr that interests us. This photo http://flickr.com/photos/spikebot/123473089/in/set-1815258/ is of one of the first libraries that I have worked at. My children's great aunt was also the first librarian to work at this library. It used to be the Council Chambers, and I remember a room in there that used to be the safe. I first worked there as a Casual Library Assistant, and I remember the day of the Newcastle earthquake. We were changing the whole non-fiction collection around when all of a sudden the shelving started to shake. It was a wonder the old building didn't fall down. It has been completely redesigned inside now and includes the Council building at the back as the Spike Milligan reading room.

Bye for now

3 comments:

pls@slnsw said...

Dear fairy123

You have demonstrated one of the great things about using this technology - you never know who knows what (if you get my drift). A photo from one source and some 'local history' about it from you.

Victoria

miztres said...

I love the idea of a Spike Milligan room.

I also like the idea of working in a building with so much history. Our branch, though largish, is just extention on extention until it's hard to work out what's orginal and what was added later.

Good luck with the course.

Queenie said...

I worked there too-when it was only 3 rooms for the library -I was the only one there-I would get lot's of pressies from the clients.The middle section was the court house-so when it wasn't busy I could listen to the cases-very interesting.